Thursday, September 12, 2013

Egg Retrieval


Egg Retrieval went well! I am super sore but I will get to that.
We arrived early to the Fremont location- I had not been there yet. They took us pretty quickly in and DH decided to wait until the took me to do his specimen. At first I wasn't sure I liked my nurse but in the end she turned out super sweet. She was just freaking out about my nose ring (they made me remove :( ). i met with the anesthesiologist and she was also kind and listened to my concerns about nausea. We then met with the embryologist... she was really nice. Younger than I thought she would be but looked the part and acted it. Hard to describe what i even mean by that. She was a bit awkward and came across very geeky. I have often thought someone in that field would have to love science and while she was cute, she definitely came across as a bookworm and this made my judgmental ass feel more comfortable with her playing with my embryos! LOL!
Dr. Harris came in a couple times- charming as always! And funny. I told him I had a huge pancake breakfast because thats what the nurse told me to say :p In actuality before ER you don't eat or drink after midnight.
They luckily got the IV in pretty easy even with my rolling veins I forgot to mention I have. And then I walked to the room for the ER. They had me lay on a table with my legs in these stirrups that went up my thighs but they way it was handles was awesome. They covered me up so i wasn't laying there spread eagle and the other nurse in there said, "to give me some dignity and make sure I didn't freeze". Dr. Harris came in after I was setup and they pushed the sedation medication and things get blurry.
When I woke I was back on the gurney (must have been fun getting me to help move to it LOL!) and a lot groggy at first. Then i remembered I told the nurses that Dr. Harris should be a car salesmen! LMFAO! OMG! I turned to the nurse and asked if she was in the room with me. She said she was and so I asked her, "Um did I tell Dr. Harris he could be a car salesmen?" She started laughing and said yes and reminded me he said he sold knives in college! LOL! When he came in I tried to explain that I thought he was charming enough to do so and he laughed and said I was hilarious in there! LOL! I am normally not *that* person who makes an ass on sedation but I guess I am now :p All in all EVERYONE was so kind and genuinely sweet. I am going to bring treat to he retrieval for all of them :)

Down to the nity gritty! When I woke I swear someone said 19 eggs but then the nurse said 18 eggs. When Dr. Harris came in he said let go make sure because I actually think 20! He came back and said yes there were 20 eggs!!! YAY!!!!!
The embryologist came in a bit later and said she got the maturity back on them and 17 were good for ICSI! WHEW!!!! That was my big fear, them not being mature enough. I think everyone has these fears doing IVF and some parts freak certain people out more than others. For me I worry about having a lot of eggs but crappy ones. So I feel better! Now I just want to make sure they fertilize! I get the call tomorrow to see how many embabies we have and how they are doing :) Based on that I could have a transfer Saturday, Sunday or a 5 days transfer on Tuesday. I am aiming for Tuesday since I have quite a few eggs and am remaining positive! :)

Pain wise I woke in some decent pain. i think ER is different for everyone. I have a high pain tolerance but I admit this has been more painful than my polyp removal a couple months ago. I had the Bair Paws gown again and LOVED it again! Told the nurse I should take it home and DH suggested plugging me into the blow dryer! LOL! It helped with the pain while I was there. And again NO nausea! Yay!
 The car ride was kinda rough and bumps hurt- also it's an hour+ ride. We stopped a grabbed some food (so I wasn't in horrible pain) but I moved very slow and got out of there fast. went straight to acupuncture and I think it helped some. I go back Monday I think... Waiting on fert report to decide what i am doing but I am going to go before the transfer and maybe day of after. Loved to go before but I don't see that happening because we have to drive early to appointments in the Bay Area because of traffic.
After acupuncture I went straight to bed with my new heating pad. Took me a while to fall asleep because I was achy and hot. But when i woke hours later I felt better. 
Tonight I am bloated and crampy but OK. Pain is like a period and since I don't get period cramps (and when i do I exercise them away) I am kinda whiny about them LOL! It's only me and the boys tonight so there is no one to whine to tho! LOL!

I am supposed to take it easy while my ovaries go down from the swelling. I am drinking a lot (Smart water too for the electrolytes) and upped my protein (eggs for dinner- ironic? LOL! And a protein shake) in order to help prevent OHSS.

I started Medrol tonight and take that 2x/day for five days. I restart Aspirin tomorrow and start estrace 3x/day, I start the Endometrin suppositories 3x/day on Saturday.

Pregnancy blood test is scheduled for the 26th. But ya I AM going to POAS before then!

So there it is...

4 comments:

  1. What an experience! I'm so excited for you! I can't wait to find out what happens next! I'm crossing everything and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!!! They are with the most expensive babysitters EVER :) - Best of luck to you, that is a great retrieval :)

    --Leah

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad everything went well! Kinda happy it's taken me so long to catch up on blog posts, because now I get to skip over some of the nail-biting days and find out how things are going right away. It's kinda like marathoning a TV show on Netflix lol. But of course this is way more important than any TV show!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally know what you mean! I love reading blogs all at once! LOL!

    ReplyDelete