Friday, July 19, 2013

Antral follicle count & trial transfer info



So next Thursday I have the appointment for both as I have mentioned. I want to make sure that this blog is easy to follow even for people who are new to all this- at least one person mentioned they were thinking IVF and were going to follow to learn more.  Got me thinking I need to be clear WTH I am doing and why. So I make no promises but I will try!
So the antral follicle count- Basically this is a simple u/s to see how many "resting follicles" I have going on. You want to see a good amount going on. basically it is used, "for estimating ovarian reserve, the expected response to ovarian stimulating drugs, and the chance for successful pregnancy with in vitro fertilization." My Dr is going to decide after what drug protocol he want to do from how many I have. I am curious to see as my OBGYN has made at least 3 comments about my antral follicles and how I have as many as a 21yo LOL! But I wonder if maybe she is mistaken and those are PCOS cysts? But then again I don't have the numbers with my bloodwork indicating my PCOS is out of control and the cysts are the one thing I have never been told I actually have (the main reason i thought I didn't have PCOS). And I tend to over-respond to oral medications so maybe she is right? Guess I will know Thursday! Here's hoping there are a ton of the resting follicles!
The trial transfer- Basically he is going to use an u/s to see the size and shape of my uterus and get an idea where he would want to place the embryos when we transfer. They use a catheter similar to IUI but I have heard it's not flexible. I have heard some horror stories so I hope it's not painful!


No comments:

Post a Comment